Thursday, January 14, 2010

young and healthy.

"I'm young and healthy,
And so are you...
When the moon is in the sky
Tell me what am I
To do?"

Let me just say that I have an irrational fear of gyms. The people that go to gyms freak me out. Trainers give me the creeps. It makes me panicky to see 40 people running side-by-side on machines with light up screens that flash at you if you don't know the right combination of buttons to push. What happened to just pressing "Start" or "On"??

That being said. I have done the unthinkable. And it was a battle. What do I dislike more: douche bag trainers with bad hair or my waning metabolism? What makes me more uncomfortable: overly toned women with bad fake tans or my pants? What should I really be concentrating on: this irrational fear or getting myself to be more active? It's really not about any sort of weight gain - it's about being softer in areas where I used to not be soft. And things that jiggle when I walk down stairs that are supposed to be stationery.

So I did it. I... joined a gym. There is an Xsport Fitness that I pass everyday on my way to work, and again on my way home. It has a pool, and a hot tub, and a rock climbing wall, and a spa... and weights and stuff too of course. If it wasn't on my daily route, I was sure that I would never be able to convince myself to go, so this had to be the one. Todd and I joined on Monday and worked out together that evening for 2 hours. It was not as scary as I expected. (That's a lie, I was still really anxious the whole time.) But we explored most everything that I would use, and I even felt comfortable enough to go back on Tuesday all by myself. I've been swimming, running, stretching and using the weight machines.

This is a pretty giant step for me. I don't ever see myself being hugely health-crazed or anything, but this is a good start down the road to equalizing what I'm putting into my body and what I am working off. As long as I can burn the total calories found in 2 cans of coke, a Chipotle burrito, and a 3 piece Chicken Select meal with buffalo sauce from McDonalds, I'll be happy.


Muscle Beach, 1950s

1 comment:

Leah said...

Good for you and Todd! I wish I had someone to work out with, but Karina and I are just really good at demotivating each other instead of the other way around and Dan works out an a fancy gym that his job gets him a discount off of.