Wednesday, January 20, 2010

call it what you will.

I've realized that to the average blogger, my blog title may sound like a contrived pairing of words that could be found using one of those "What's Your Emo Band Name?" generators online. I hate to disappoint, but it is much simpler - and way dorkier - than that.

In 1968, NBC aired a television special titled simply and appropriately Elvis. The program was put together to bring Elvis back into the spotlight as a musician, after years of Hollywood formula movies and soundtracks.

"Only thing worse than watching a bad movie is being in one."
Elvis Presley

(Don't worry Elvis, I still own - and watch - all of your movies.
Including Harum Scarum.)

After the success of the TV production and the rejuvenating boost it provided to Elvis and his career, it became commonly and lovingly referred to as the '68 Comeback Special.

Work hard for the money.

1 comment:

Leah said...

I thought comeback special sounded sporty. Like...they were down 20 points and then they made a huge comeback! I like the Elvis connotation better.